The following factors play a major role in both your physical and mental health. What is good for the body is good for the brain, so be good to yourself today!
1. What's good for your heart is good for your brain: Keep your body weight, blood pressure, cholesterol levels, and blood sugar levels within recommended guidelines.
2. Good nutrition is critical to brain health. When you need a mental or physical energy boost, snack on fruits, vegetables, or nuts.
3. Stay physically active: Sign up for my fitness classes! Click here for class descriptions.
4. Stay socially connected: Take a class (see #3 above!), volunteer, start a book group, join a social networking site such as Facebook and encourage your friends to do the same.
5. Seek out opportunities to learn new information and new skills, and to experience new situations: Take a class (see a theme here?...), take a different route home today, try a new restaurant, read a genre you don't usually read, travel -- even if it's just to the city next door, learn a foreign language.
6. Avoid multitasking, and focus. When someone is talking to you, look at the person and listen closely. If you miss something, ask the person to repeat it.
While you're thinking about which brain-healthy habit you're going to adopt today, eat an apple. According to nutritionists, one a day really will keep the doctor away! Keep the peel on for greater benefits (but scrub thoroughly before eating).